You have the option to send emails at six stages of the delivery process.
You can use either the classic notification template settings or new notification template settings.
- Important - Notifications will not send for "Pickup In Store" and "Plain Label" orders when on a Trial Subscription due to spam protection measures.
Classic notification template and new notification template
You can create your email notifications using either our classic notification template or our new notification template.
- Classic notification template – Our classic HTML editor with the option of adding preset variables like courier name, Tracking URL, company name and more.
- New notification template – Our new email editor which includes options for notices, tracking bubbles, promotion blocks and more.
Choose your notification template
Before you can customise your notifications, you need to select which template you’d like to use:
- Click Settings
- Click Tracking & notifications
- For each delivery stage, select whether which options you would like to enable
- If all options remain unticked, no notification will be sent for this delivery stage
- You can select to either send the new email template or the classic email template.
- Click Save
Choose when to send delivery updates
Starshipit can manage an email template for each different delivery status and will trigger an email only for the checked status. For example, you can choose to send an email or SMS when an order label is printed to when the order is delivered.
- Enable the checkbox for the stages of delivery you want to notify a customer.
Edit new template
Select the blue hyperlinked New email template to update that notifications template.
Edit your from details
Enter your from details so customers can easily identify who is sending them the email.
Add a notice
Display a banner message at the top of the page in the event that you need to make an announcement to your customers regarding shipping or handling.
Notices display across branded tracking, customer notifications, and returns.
- Click Enable notice section to turn the notice banner on.
- Write your notice in the field provided.
Notification email content
Use Starshipit variables to personalise your email and include information about the order.
- Add a Section title
- Double click a variable to add it to the field
Choose to show or hide the tracking bubbles from your branded tracking page.
- Tracking bubbles are enabled by default. Click Enable tracking bubbles if you want to turn tracking bubbles off.
Add your contact information
List relevant ways customers can contact you if they have a question or require support post purchase. Contact information is an optional section displayed across branded tracking, customer notifications, and returns.
- Click Enable contact information
- Add your Section title – The header for this contact block
- Add your Text – The name of the contact field (Email, support page etc)
- Add your URL – Where the contact section will link to
- Click Add another to add another contact section
Add promotion blocks
Add a promotional image to your branded tracking page and enter an image URL to direct customers to on click.
- Click Enable promotion blocks
- Click Select to upload your image
- Enter your URL – where your image will link to when clicked
Customise your footer
Use the footer to include any important information or links.
- Click Enable footer section.
- Write your message or add URLs in the Content field.
- Click Enable Starshipit watermark to remove the Starshipit watermark.
Test your notifications
Send a test notification to an email address.
- Enter your email address and click the Captcha
Save your notification settings
Edit classic template
- Select the blue hyperlinked classic email template to update that notifications template
- From the editor, you can modify the email template as required.
Use the Starshipit variable
Use Starshipit variables to personalise your email and include information about the order. Starshipit variables can be included in the subject field and in an HTML tag (<a href=%TrackingURL%>Track %OurRef% Online</a>).
- Recipient name: Name of your customer
- OurRef: Sender's reference (e.g. sales order number)
- TheirRef: Receiver's reference (e.g. purchase order number)
- Courier Name: The courier used to ship the parcel.
- Tracking Number: Tracking number associated with the parcel
- Tracking URL: Tracking URL associated with the parcel
- Company Name: Your company name
- Telephone: Your contact number
Add an image in the email
- From the email editor, select Upload Image.
- Click Upload.
- Select an image from your computer
- Click Upload from the dialogue box.
- Select the image on the middle part of the screen
- Click Insert.
The sender email
If you would like to specify a specific email that your outbound notifications go from, you can go to:
- Settings > Customer Notifications > Email Template
- Enter the email in the From field
Duplicate email notifications
Many eCommerce platforms (including Shopify and Magento) include notification options that email customers when the status of their order has been updated. If you have opted to write-back the status to your eCommerce platform, you may need to consider whether your customers are receiving duplicate notifications. You can then enable/disable notifications, as required.
NOTE: If you're shipping with Australia Post, check that you haven't enabled Australia Post notifications in Settings > Couriers > Australia Post > Advanced > untick Enable Email Notification for Tracking.
Q: Notifications are going straight to my customer's junk or being flagged as spam.
A: Run through the below steps:
- Check if the From field has been entered in the customer notification template.
- If it has, you can then check the domain in https://mxtoolbox.com/spf.aspx and see if the SPF record exists.
- If SPF record exists, then check if "sendgrid.net" is included in the SPF record, if it is not, then it appears that your domain has got SPF record configured.
- You will need to include "sendgrid.net" in the TXT DNS record to avoid the email notification being marked as spam or getting bounced by the recipient's mail server.
See our support article for more information on SPF for email notifications.