- Use the 'Automatically assign packages based on item dimensions' packaging feature to select the most efficient packaging for your orders.
- This feature intelligently matches items' dimensions with your configured packages, selecting the best fit and therefore reducing material waste and shipping costs.
- Note: If any items do not have dimensions assigned (more on this below), the algorithm will select the default package on your Starshipit account.
How it works
Here's how this algorithm would package an order:
- The algorithm first examines the dimensions of each item in an order, leveraging data from your Product Catalogue or the order's import details (for example item details from Magento2).
- To start, the algorithm will try and pack all items in the order into a single package. If there are multiple packages that could be used, the algorithm will select the package with the least amount of empty space after the items have been packed.
- If not all items will fit into one package, the algorithm will pack as many items as possible into the first package, and then select another package for the remaining items. It will repeat this process until all items are packed.
- The chosen package(s) are assigned to the order, prefilling the correct labels and dimensions for packing.
1. Ensure you have set up your packages with the correct dimensions in your Starshipit account.
2. Confirm that your product imports include item dimensions. The most efficient method is through the Product Catalogue.
3. Go to Settings > Packaging > Weight of Packaging in your Starshipit account. Choose 'Automatically assign packages based on item dimensions' from the dropdown menu
Note: This setup process is essential for the feature to function correctly. It will apply to orders upon import. If you wish to apply these settings to existing orders in your 'new' tab, you will need to delete and re-import them for the changes to take effect.
A note on item dimensions
To use this packaging feature, Starshipit requires dimensions for each of your items. We recommend using Starshipit's Product Catalogue to do this.
Integrated platforms which support item details:
- Magneto2 – Read our guide
- Cin7 Core (DEAR)
- Cin7 Omni