Starshipit's Branded Returns Portal, simplifies and automates your returns process so that your customers can self-service, track their returns and feel confident in making purchases with you. For more information on the benefits and features of the return portal, see here.
- Currently, the returns portal supports generating returns via Australia Post eParcel, TNT, Couriers Please, DHL Express Domestic and International and NZ Post Domestic
- To enable the branded returns portal please request here
About the Returns Portal
- The returns portal is a highly customisable self-service web application that allows your customers to generate returns based on your return policy.
- The portal can either be embedded into your online website or hosted by Starshipit with a custom URL you direct customers to.
- Enabling the Branded Returns Portal
- Customising the Branded Returns Portal
- Display the returns portal to your customers
How to set up the Branded Returns Portal
1. Enable the Returns Portal
- Go to Settings > Returns > Tick Enable > Save
- This will generate a unique URL
- (Optional) Enter a subdomain to customise the Returns Portal URL.
The URL would then be bobsbuildings.returns.starshipit.com
2. Configure your return couriers
If you have not already been using Starshipit for returns, you will need to configure your courier accounts for returns
Customising the Branded Returns Portal
The above is all that is required to get the returns portal functioning. From here you will want to customise the returns portal to suit your branding requirements, business logic and returns policy.
Follow each step below:-
Define your Terms and Conditions
It is important to ensure your terms and conditions for returning products are laid out clearly on your website. To add this:
- Go to Settings > Returns > Terms & Conditions
- Tick Enable Terms & Conditions
- Add your content to the template editor
- Click Save
This will now display on your returns portal
Rules for Returns
You can use the built-in rules engine to block return requests based on your policy around what can be returned and when. Some common examples are:
- Returns are only accepted within 30 days of when the order was placed
- Swimwear is not available for returns
- Returns are only available for domestic orders via the self-service function
- If a customer is based in a specific state, the return should go with a certain carrier
- If the return contains a certain item, the order should be marked as a dangerous good
Use the rules tab to configure this logic
- Go to Settings > Returns > Rules
- Select Add a new rule
- Set the Condition(s)
Example: Order Created Date Greater Than 30 Days
- Set the Action:
Example: Reject Returns
- Set the Value:
Example: We're sorry! The items you have tried to return are not eligible for returns
If you have any trouble configuring your business logic with our rules engine, please contact us and one of our support team will help you set this up.
Defining Return Reasons and types of returns
With returns, you may want to specify what kind of returns you allow and what reason the customer is returning the item. To define your return reasons:
- Go to Settings > Returns > Settings > Returns reason
- Enter each return reason on a new line
- The customer will have to select one of these reasons before completing the return
Starshipit supports three types of returns. To enable these:
- Go to Settings > Returns > Settings > Return Options
- Select which options you would like to enable
- Refund to store credit
- Exchange Product
- Refund to the original payment method
Reimbursement for Returns
Starshipit does not currently support charging the customer for returns via the returns portal. Reimbursement should be either deducted from the refund or charged externally through your payment gateway. You are able to configure flat rate charges based on which refund option is chosen within the returns portal settings.
- Go to Settings > Returns > Return Charges > Return Option
- Configure the conditions and charges based on the return option, the location of where the return is coming from and the weight
When a customer opts for a refund, I would like to charge $5.00 for orders that weigh up to 5kg, and $7.50 for orders between 5kg and 10kg for domestic orders. All international orders will have a flat charge of $15 for returns
Return Option Country Codes State Codes Post Codes Return Charges Payment Refund AU 5|5
Payment Refund !AU 1000|15
- Click Save
- For more information on setting up table rates see here: Set up table rates.
Branding the portal
You can create a great branded experience by using the following key elements of the returns portal:
- Header & Accent colour
- Page Title & Favicon
- Footer Section
- Additional packaging details
Used for providing additional information on how your returns should be packaged
Use the settings page to customise your returns
- Go to Settings > Returns > Settings > Customise your return portal
- Enable sections you want to display in the return portal
- Upload the relevant images and text
Starshipit uses a standard Rich Text Editor for the portal templates. Optionally, you can switch to the HTML view to copy code you may have from your website already
Branding your Returns notifications
Throughout the returns process, customer communication will be important. The returns portal allows you to fully configure and customise all SMS and email communication from an initial email with a link to the returns portal, all the way through to tracking notifications during the returns journey.
Use the notifications tab to enable select emails and customise them
- Go to Settings > Returns > Notifications
- Click the checkbox for the emails/SMS you would like to enable
- Send Return Link: Triggered when sending a link to the returns portal
- Return Pick Up Submitted: Triggered when the return is initially submitted
- Return Parcel Picked Up: Triggered when a pickup event is recorded from the carrier
- Return Received: Triggered when a delivered event is recorded from the carrier
- Send Return Label: Triggered when you send a return label to a customer directly
- Select either the Email Template or SMS template you would like to customise and edit the template from there
- Click Save
HOT TIP: These notifications are a great example for you to upsell and direct attention back to your store to increase visibility on your site
Display the returns portal to your customers
There are two ways you can display the branded returns portal to your customers. You can either use an iFrame and embed it into your existing website or use the Starshipit hosted URL's. How to configure both options are detailed below.
An iFrame is a way of embedding the returns portal as inline HTML into an existing web page. This is a seamless way to create a flow between your online store and the returns portal. To add the returns portal as an iFrame you will need to access the embedding code
- Go to Settings > Returns > Settings > Get the code
- Copy the code to the clipboard
<iframe src="https://returns.starshipit.com/?id=abc&embed=true" width="100%" height="100%" name="starshipit_returns" frameBorder="0" style="border: none;"></iframe>
- Go to your website and edit the HTML for the page where you would like the returns portal to display.
This could be a dedicated website page for the returns portal or you could add it to an existing page
- Paste the code into the webpage and click save
- Returns Portal should now be displaying
Alternatively, you may wish to have the returns portal hosted externally to your online store. This can be useful if you wish to only provide the link to the returns portal to specific customers, rather than having it publically available on your store.
After enabling the returns portal and optionally choosing a subdomain, you would have received a unique URL. You can include this URL in the "Send Return Link" email or record it locally for staff to send out when appropriate.