- Starshipit has three order value adjustment options to help you manage customs values on commercial invoices.
- It is recommended that you declare the total value of the items and that the total of the line items adds up to this declared value.
The value declared on commercial invoices is a grey area. Should it be the actual value of the items? The value paid? Should it include tax? Shipping? What if it is free shipping?
Customs are likely to flag any commercial invoices which do not add up, i.e. where the line items do not match the total amount declared so, we recommend you ensure everything sums to avoid shipments getting flagged by customs for being declared incorrectly.
Starshipit supports several order value adjustment functions to change declared values based on line item totals, tax, shipping and discounts.
From your eCommerce or inventory platform we will try and import the below fields (if available) to be used in order value adjustment:
- Total Value paid by the customer
- Sub total
1. Set your order value adjustment setting
- Go to Settings
- Click Integrations from the Settings menu
- Scroll down until you see the Order Value Adjustments section
- Select one of the four radio buttons (Information on options available below)
- Click Save
No Adjustments: With no order adjustment Starshipit will use either the total value or sub-total depending on the platform.
Adjustment based on Total Value: Starshipit will always take the total amount paid by your customer and use this as the master value. Working backwards Starshipit then adjusts the item values (on import) to ensure that all items add up to this master value.
Adjustment based on Total Value - Tax: This works the same way as Adjustment based on Total Value, except tax is subtracted from the total amount paid, before adjusting the line items.
Adjustment based on Total Value - Tax - Shipping: This works the same way as Adjustment based on Total Value, except tax, and shipping are subtracted from the total amount paid, before adjusting the line items.
Note: There is also an option to apply the actual cost of shipping if you are using DHL Express (see this article to set this up), if you have this option enabled, then ensure you select Adjustment based on Total Value - Tax - Shipping.